Sunday, February 12, 2006

5th Surfman Award : Scully


dave
Originally uploaded by the surfman.
I had the pleasure of being given an early recording of 7 of Scully's songs 3 year's ago and I was simply taken aback by the vocal range and hard hitting melodies that seeped not just into my eardrums, but my soul. I was seeing a whole new side to my amigo, who on occassion can dispense truths like daggars, albeit to much laughter. This recording was raw, emotional and reminded me of the kind of music that Neil Young use to play back in his Toronto coffee house circuit days. The 7 songs were free of the usual studio production tricks that turn some great music into run of the mill overworked lyrical paperweights. Scully says in one song "that things have changed so much, that I barely recognize myself", well lets hope that once he releases his recordings to the public, he recognizes them! Overworking songs into the ground in the studio is the error of many a woulda, shoulda, coulda been! This weeks Surfman Award goes to you Scully, for the way your early recording made me feel and the hopes that you keep it real when you finally release it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home